Saturday, 10 September 2016

Daily Shlokas: September 10, 2016

Bg 10.21

ādityānām ahaṁ viṣṇur jyotiṣāṁ ravir aṁśumān
marīcir marutām asmi nakṣatrāṇām ahaṁ śaśī

Bg 10.22

vedānāṁ sāma-vedo ’smi devānām asmi vāsavaḥ
indriyāṇāṁ manaś cāsmi bhūtānām asmi cetanā

Translation

21. Among the (twelve) ADITYAS I am Vishnu; among luminaries, the radiant Sun; I am Marichi among the MARUTS; among asterisms, the moon am I.

22. Among the VEDAS, I am the SAMA-VEDA; I am VASAVA among the gods; among the senses I am the mind; and I am the intelligence among living beings.

Commentary

OF ADITYAS I AM VISHNU --- In the Vedic tradition, Adityas, described in some places as five, and in other places as six, are the children born of Aditi. Later on, the traditional belief considered twelve Adityas, each representing one of the twelve months of the year. In the Vishnu-Purana, however, we read that "Vishnu" is one of these twelve Adityas, and He is described therein as the most important amongst the whole lot.

OF THE LUMINARIES I AM THE RADIANT SUN --- Modern physics admits that the Sun is the source of all energy. Naturally, the phrase stands amply self-explained. The Self is the source of all energy wherever it is seen manifested.

OF THE WINDS I AM MARICHI --- In Vedic verses, Maruts are the sons of Rudra and the Rig Veda mentions Marichi as the chief among them. In Vedic lore, the Maruts represent the presiding deity of the storms, wind and breeze --- in short, air-in-motion.

OF THE ASTERISMS I AM THE MOON --- The Sanskrit term 'Nakshatras', as used in Indian astronomy, indicates the asterisms strewn on the Moon's path. Conceiving exclusively thus the route of the Moon in the Universe, the line may be interpreted as expressing the Lord's glory, inasmuch as, among the asterisms the Moon is the controller, the regulator; and in splendour, the most wondrous of all of them.

But we could as well accept the word 'Nakshatras,' in its common understanding, as the endless twinkling little stars that we see studded in the night-sky. There are commentators, who go a step further, and consider the word as representing all 'lights of the night.' This also is an acceptable interpretation, which can convey to us a wealth of suggestions to ponder over and meditate upon. The Self is as incomparably glorious, soothing and pleasant as the moon is in the entire 'world-of-lights' that illumines the night, from the modest hut to the Parliament House.

It is to be remembered that in this series of TWENTY-TWO STANZAS, Lord Krishna is trying to supply the seekers with SEVENTY-FIVE ITEMS of thought for helping those who are on the Path-of-Knowledge, to meditate upon and intensify their integration and sharpen their single-pointedness. These are 75 independent exercises in meditation.

OF ALL THE VEDAS I AM THE SAMA-VEDA --- The bulk of the Sama-Veda is nothing but the essence of the Rig-Veda and the latter is considered as the most important of all the four Vedas. In Chandogya Upanishad, the Sama-Veda has been beautifully glorified Again, in Sama-Veda, there is the added joy of music, inasmuch as, the Samans are to be sung in complicated tunes, the melody and rhythm of which are evidences revealing a mighty art that has been exquisitely developed by our ancients. Through the beauty of the comparison, we may read the Krishna is (I am) the Infinite Essence tuned to music, as Rig-Veda Mantras are in the Samans.

OF THE DEVAS I AM VASAVA --- Among the denizens of heaven, Vasava is King Indra. It is interesting to note that according to the Hindu concept, there is the highest standard of living imaginable in heaven, but even among its denizens there are the "haves" and the "have-nots." Individuals who perform meritorious acts reach heaven to enjoy the wealth of goodness so acquired, and therefore, one who has acquired a larger wealth of merits while living HERE, should necessarily come to enjoy THERE a subtler joy and a life of greater satisfaction. Of such lives, the most powerful and mighty, the most splendid and luxurious life will necessarily be of Indra. The Self is as Indra among the gods, ruling over the others, controlling and directing them and organising their lives so that they may enjoy the highest standard of living.

OF THE SENSE ORGANS I AM THE MIND --- The above phrase that the Self is 'INDRA AMONG THE GODS' itself contains the subjective idea to all those who are well fed upon the Upanishadic lore, that It is the mind among the indriyas. The term 'Indra,' in Sanskrit can also be dissolved as "the King of the sense organs." We have earlier mentioned that Devas, since the word means 'to illumine,' are the sense organs, and, among them, naturally, the mind is the patron and the controller without which the sense organs will not have their play in any intelligent field of activity.

Of all things created in the world, the most magnificent and wondrous item is the mysterious power, called the "intelligence," which has not yet been brought within the understanding of modern scientists beyond certain vague and fanciful theories.

Sources: vedabase.com; The Holy Geeta

No comments:

Post a Comment